***We are waiting on scores from a few of the final judges. The holidays seem to be slowing things down, but we will announce winners ASAP. All finalists will be notified, even if you did not place in the top 5***
(The 2022 contest is closed for entries. Check back in mid 2023 for details for the 2023 contest)
Enter the 2022 Hooked on a Book Competition!
(Contact HookedonaBookComp@gmail.com for questions)
Does your opening draw readers in? Did you hook them with only a handful of words? Everyone knows it’s imperative to grab your readers early on. Enter this contest to see how your opening measures up!
Enter the first 500 words of your UNPUBLISHED fiction novel or short story. Submitted in Word doc format. (Published and unpublished authors are eligible) – Your entry can contain fewer than 500 words but not more. *** Your name should NOT appear anywhere in your document. Please make sure that only your book title is in the Word doc.
- Entry Fee: $10
- Entries capped at 100
- First round judged by readers and authors (any feedback judges provide will be returned to the author). The top 10 entries will be judged by editors and/or agents ** See below list of fab final judges!! (Final judges will have the option of requesting to see your full manuscript) – The editing and promo prize must be used within a year. (By November 15 of the following year)
- All fiction genres accepted
- Prizes: (All monetary awards are in U.S. Dollars)
First place: $125, a trophy, and a full edit by Alicia Dean (the edit can be for this or a different manuscript). One month free promo by Author Promo Pal Marketing Services. (For any published works you might have. Or for unpublished authors, in order to gain exposure and get your name out to future readers.)
Second Place: $100 and a certificate
Third Place: $75 and a certificate
Fourth Place: $50 and a certificate
Fifth Place: $25 and a certificate
- Entry deadline: September 15, 2022
- Winners announced: November 15, 2022
Amy Brewer ~ Metamorphosis Literary Agency https://www.metamorphosisliteraryagency.com/
Jodi Thompson / Fawkes Press ~ https://fawkespress.com/
Tyla Beth Lamber / Fawkes Press ~ https://fawkespress.com/
Casey Cowan / Oghma Creative ~ https://oghmacreative.com/
Lea Schizas ~ The Wild Rose Press https://wildrosepress.com/
Laura Kelly ~ The Wild Rose Press https://wildrosepress.com/
Nan Swanson ~ The Wild Rose Press https://wildrosepress.com/
Morena Stamm ~ The Wild Rose Press https://wildrosepress.com/
- If you’d like to submit your entry form and payment to lock in a spot, you can do so now and submit your entry before the deadline.
- Neither your legal name nor your pen name should be anywhere in the Word doc you submit.
- Entries must be in English
- Entries containing sexual situations between characters under the age of 18 are not accepted.
- If an entry is determined to depict pedophilia, bestiality (except in the case of Paranormal shape-shifters), necrophilia, and/or “snuff” (the act of killing for sexual gratification) as acceptable, it will be disqualified, and the entrant will not receive a refund of the entry fee
- Authors may submit multiple entries. But please be sure to email each one separately. You may pay in one payment but entries should be sent separately.
- As long as your book is not published by September 15th, it is eligible for the contest.
- If you entered the contest, you are not eligible to judge.
- Judging is anonymous
- Pay your entry fee of $10 via PayPal to HookedonaBookComp@Gmail.com (If you don’t have PayPal, contact us for optional payment methods)
- Fill out this form: HOAB Entry Form
- Send your UP TO 500 word entry in a Word doc (with your name removed from the doc) email attachment to HookedonaBookComp@gmail.com PLEASE PUT THE TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE. Please be sure to send multiple entries in separate emails.
FIRST ROUND JUDGES: Via email, you will receive approximately 10 entries in various genres of no more than 500 words each on or around September 20, 2022. First round scores due by October 10, 2022. Submit your judge form HERE
Q: My book is not finished. May I still enter?
A: Yes…this contest is for completed works or WIPs (works in progress)
Q: My opening scene is only 350 words but it ends on a good hook. Can I submit only the first 350 words?
A: Yes, absolutely. You can submit no more than 500 words, but it’s advisable to leave them wanting more, so less than 500 is fine.
Q: I haven’t titled my book yet. What should I do about a title?
A: You can call your book whatever you would like for the contest. Just slap a working title on it so we’ll have an identifier.
Q: My book is under contract but won’t be released until September. Is it eligible?
A: Yes. As long as it will not be released by the contest deadline of September 15, your book is eligible.
Q: If I plan to Indie Publish, can I still enter your contest?
A: Yes. Regardless of your publishing plan, you may enter the contest.
Q: I don’t have PayPal. How can I pay my entry fee?
A: You can pay by check, Venmo, Cash App, FB Messenger. Or, the coordinator can send you a PayPal invoice and you can pay with a card. If you need to pay by one of these methods, contact us at HookedonaBookComp@gmail.com